November 23, 2022 — ECHL (ECHL) — South Carolina Stingrays news release
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC – The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliates of the NHL’s Washington Capitals and the Hershey Bears of the AHL, today announced that defenseman Michael Kim has been called off by Hershey and forward Kevin O’Neil has signed a pro tryout contract signed with the Bears.
Kim, 27, signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears on Sept. 8 and was assigned to South Carolina before the Oct. 9 season kick-off. Kim’s rights were traded to the Stingrays by the Maine Mariners in exchange for Nick Isaacson. So far this season, Kim has eight points, two goals and six assists in 12 games.
Over the past four seasons, the Toronto, ON native has 60 points with eight goals and 52 assists while appearing in 135 ECHL career games with the Wheeling Nailers, Jacksonville Icemen and Maine Mariners alongside the Stingrays. Kim has also played 49 games in the AHL with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Springfield Thunderbirds, where the defenseman assisted on 10 goals.
O’Neil, 24, is in his rookie season in professional hockey after re-signing with the Stingrays last summer. This season, O’Neil has 15 points, eight goals and seven assists. Last season, O’Neil retired from college and appeared in the last 10 games of the ECHL season with the Stingrays, recording 10 points with six goals and four assists.
Before turning pro, O’Neil played four seasons of college hockey at Yale University before completing his senior season at the University of Connecticut. In 130 college career games, the Latham, NY native recorded 60 points with 23 goals and 37 assists.
The Stingrays return to action when they head out for two games against the Atlanta Gladiators next weekend at Gas South Arena, beginning Friday, November 25 at 7:00 p.m
Season Pass Plans are on sale now! For more information or to purchase, call the Stingrays at 843-744-2248.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board…
- Thunder Point-Streak Snaped Wednesday Night – Wichita Thunder
- Royals’ Mariners’ six-game winning streak, 5-3 – Reading Royals
- Oilers Earn Thanksgiving Boast Rights With Victory Over Wichita – Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads scored highest seven goals of the season in a 7-4 win over Allen – Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Cruise past Mavericks, 5-2 – Rapid City Rush
- Americans Drop Opener in Idaho – Allen Americans
- Ebbing, Green and Nardi each earn two points in 5-3 loss to Cyclones – Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings march back on lavender ice, beat Heartlanders in OT – Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Conclude Homestand With Victory Before 9,880 – Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades big rally falls short in shootout – Florida Everblades
- Worcester def. Admirals 4-1 on Thanksgiving Eve – Worcester Railers HC
- Power play leads the way as swamp rabbits blow past solar bears – Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers grateful for special teams in home win – Wheeling Nailers
- Santos scores twice as Mariners top royals on Thanksgiving Eve – Maine Mariners
- Indy falls to Wheeling, 4-2 – Indy Fuel
- Admirals fight hard, Railers prevail with victory – Norfolk Admirals
- Iowa Banks another point at Kalamazoo in 3-2 OTL – Iowa Heartlanders
- Harper scores late in 3-2 Thunder win – Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers topped 3-2 by Thunder – Newfoundland Growlers
- Format Announced, 2023 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic – Norfolk Admirals Kits Revealed
- Netminder Emond was posted to Wichita – Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions – November 23 – ECHL
- Thunder starts loaded holiday week tonight against Tulsa – Wichita Thunder
- Garrett Klotz activated from injured reserve – Rapid City Rush
- Ghost Pirates add Valleu, forego Louis-Jean – Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Gameday Preview: Allen in Idaho, 8:10pm CST – Allen Americans
- K-Wings Logan Lambdin and Brenden Miller are returning from AHL – Kalamazoo Wings
- Kim & O’Neil on their way to Hershey – South Carolina Stingrays
- Match Notes: vs. Kansas City – Rapid City Rush
- Blades make their way to Jacksonville – Florida Everblades
- Gameday Report: Swamp Rabbits vs. Solar Bears (7:00 p.m.) – Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals land in Maine for a midweek matchup with Mariners – Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this press release are those of the organization issuing it and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its employees.